Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ethnography Issues

I chose to overlook an anxiety support group that is based in Maple Grove. I do not know anyone in this group, or anything about the group, which may cause a bit of trouble, but I hope that it will not be too severe. Coming from anxiety troubles, I know what some of the kids in this group are going through, and it will be interesting to see how they deal with it. I hope to gain more knowledge on how the school system, families, and our society impact everyday youth, and how they have trouble getting through everyday life.

I may know a little too much about this, considering I've been thought therapy. It wasn't group therapy, and I hope that will cause enough of a distance that I can successfully observe them without any bias. I'm worried that the coordinator of the group will not allow me to observe the meetings, or that the teens in the group will be too nervous to open up and be themselves once I am in the picture. In all honesty I am scared to contact the coordinator. What exactly am I supposed to say? How can I convince her to let me observe the group?

No comments:

Post a Comment