Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Ethics of Storytelling

When it comes to storytelling, not every single detail is going to be remembered. Not every single detail can be recalled, so it comes down to lying and stretching the truth. The only question is how far can someone go and still be "true"? What truly is ethical can change from person to person, so for my personal narrative, I'm hoping to stay towards the middle of the line of ethics. 

For example, I want to try to get the story as close as I can possibly get for being true, but minor details like senses and conversations will most likely be sacrificed in order to expand upon the imagery. There just small technicalities that no reader will really remember. It's just for taste. As for emotional verses, I want this story to be factual, but I want the readers to be able to see it through my eyes. Being the storyteller, I feel like I have to give the readers the right story, but a little emotion never hurts. Dialogue doesn't really have to be exact, as long as the main subject stays the same. We go through hundreds of conversations every day, of course we don't remember all of them. Why sweat over a story when you can't remember what your mother exactly said over dinner?


It's ethical if you add a few white lies, the details are just for color.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that basic white lines are okay to add in a personal narrative! But what are your other two laws for the ethics of writing a narrative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your last sentence and agree completely. However what are your other laws?

    ReplyDelete